Monday, October 6, 2008

Awesome Book "The Shack"


I just read for the first time, "The Shack" by William P Young. This book had been recommended to me by several people and I had heard nothing but good reviews on it so I decided to read it. It took me about a week to finish it and.... wow, is all I can say. It was so good. This book has literally changed the way I view God, in several different ways.

Below is the description of the book:

Mackenzie Allen Philip's youngest daughter, Missy has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack dep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

Against his better judgement he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant THE SHACK wrestles with the timeless question "Where is God in a world filled with unsepakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book.

One of the points that impacted me the most was how though I love and serve God, in reality I don't think of Him as being truly "GOOD". I often think that He is judgemental or controling, that He doesn't really love me.... it's hard for me to put it into words. I had no problem thinking that Jesus loved me or that He was good. But when it came to God the Father.... that was a different story. This books really helped change my view of certain aspects of God's character.

The following is a conversation between Mackenzie and God:

"The real underlying flaw in your life, Mackenzie, is that you don't think that I am good. If you knew I was good and that everything - the means, the ends, and all the processes of individual lives - is all covered by my goodness, then while you might not always understand what I am doing, you would trust me. But you don't....."

...."You cannot produce trust just like you cannot "do" humility. It either is or it isn't"....

....[Mackenzie says] "I don't know how to change that"

"You can't, not alone. But together we will watch that change take place. For now I just want you to be with me and discover that our relationship is not about erformance or you having to please me. I'm not a bully, not some self-centered emanding little deity insisting on my own way. I am good, and I desire only what is best for you. You cannot find that through guilt or condemnation or coercion, only through a relationship of love. And I do love you."

...[Mackenzie says] "I just can't imagine any final outcome that would
justify all this."

... "We're not justifying it. We are redeeming it."

4 comments:

Ashley Skye said...

SO I am thinking you should let me borrow this book. huh huh what do you say?

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed by the review of this book. As Christians, how much 'bad' is worth the 'good'. I read The Shack and though I agree there is some good to get out of the book, I was saddened by how many negative elements were in the book. It seems to be one of those books that is loved just because it's the popular thing to do right now. I challenge anyone to read the reviews of this book on Focus on the Family's website - just type in The Shack in their faq's - and also the review that Tim Challies did of this book. Even Wayne Jacobsen's article that defends the book is a very defensive, sarcastic, and name-calling article. I know I'm not on the popular side right now as this book is a cult hit, but sometimes the right side isn't always the popular side.

Amber said...

I really appreciate the post regarding my review of this book. I had not read the focus on the family reviews or many other reviews prior to posting my own review - I wanted to stay true to my own reflections and thoughts on this book.
After reading some of the reviews that you recommended I do see why and how there could be some criticism regarding this book.
My first response would be to say that I never meant to imply that this book should be taken as anything but fiction. It should NOT be taken as an authoritative book or as a book that somehow exceeds the authority or philosophies of the Bible. This book is flawed as are ALL books that are not the Bible. I do not want to debate the particular criticisms of this book that I have read, but I would like to say that while there can be taken some specific theological errors through this book, the part of this book that I enjoyed and that "changed my life" are in regards to the loving personal character of God. I DO NOT recommend this book as a theological cornerstone or even a building block but I recommend this book purely on the basis of a love-trust relationship with God.

While I respect your opinion and the opinions of others I do think that we should all be careful to not read too deeply into any book other than the Bible. We can criticize ANY book and we can also allow a book to influence us more than it should. Either direction is dangerous.

Amber said...

I really appreciate the post regarding my review of this book. I had not read the focus on the family reviews or many other reviews prior to posting my own review - I wanted to stay true to my own reflections and thoughts on this book.
After reading some of the reviews that you recommended I do see why and how there could be some criticism regarding this book.
My first response would be to say that I never meant to imply that this book should be taken as anything but fiction. It should NOT be taken as an authoritative book or as a book that somehow exceeds the authority or philosophies of the Bible. This book is flawed as are ALL books that are not the Bible. I do not want to debate the particular criticisms of this book that I have read, but I would like to say that while there can be taken some specific theological errors through this book, the part of this book that I enjoyed and that "changed my life" are in regards to the loving personal character of God. I DO NOT recommend this book as a theological cornerstone or even a building block but I recommend this book purely on the basis of a love-trust relationship with God.

While I respect your opinion and the opinions of others I do think that we should all be careful to not read too deeply into any book other than the Bible. We can criticize ANY book and we can also allow a book to influence us more than it should. Either direction is dangerous.