Monday, February 2, 2009

Trust: Part 3 "Communion with Him"

This week during my quiet time, the Lord clearly pointed out to me some devotions and scripture that focused on "Communion with Him" and it just so happened ;) (sure) that it pertained exactly to my current struggles in the area of trust.

These quotes come out of the book "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young:

"As you give yourself more & more to a life of constant communion with Me, you will find you simply have no time for worry."
(May 1st)
"TRUST ME in the depths of your being. It is there that I live in constant communion with you. When you feel flustered and frazzled on the outside, do not get upset with yourself. You are only human, and the swirl of events going on all around you will sometimes feel overwhelming. Rather than scolding yourself for your humanness, remind yourself that I am both with you and within you." (Jul 31st)

I find these words so practical and comforting to my spirit. They leave me with a choice to make. Am I going to focus on the world around me or will I put my time into hearing from and getting to know God? The more time I spend with the Lord the better I will get to know Him, His character and His will for my life.

This is a choice and it does take effort and discipline.

So how do we do this?

It starts with slowing down. Getting away to meet with Him Mark 6:32 "Come with Me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest." This may mean turning off the TV, computer and phones, clearing some days on the calendar, or saying "no". It continues by setting aside specific time to spend with Him daily. It's putting yourself in a posture of rest, reverence, respect, submission and love.
If you are faithful to do this, to get away and meet with Him, you will have intimate and quiet moments and the Lord will certainly speak to you. You have freedom here. Use it as you need. Take this time to speak to Him, meditate on the scriptures, tell Him your fears, and then - maybe most importantly - set your heart to hear from Him.

It is during this communion that we develop an intimate and familiar relationship with Him. When we get to know Him better, on a deeper level, it is then that we learn who He is and a natural trust begins to develop.

He does speak. He speaks words we desperately need to hear. We must get ourselves in a posture to hear.

John 10:27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."

John 8:47a "Whoever is of God hears the words of God."

My prayer is that through meeting with Him on a regular (daily) basis, as I develop a more intimate relationship with Him, that I will learn to not only hear Him speak, but that I will know that it is Him that I am hearing. I desire to hear what He has to say in regards to ALL the choices and details of my life, regardless of how big or how small.

1 comment:

Tami Jo said...

"As you give yourself more & more to a life of constant communion with Me, you will find you simply have no time for worry." (May 1st)

WOW...that one was definetely for me. Thank you for sharing.