Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Heart Can Lie

Recently I found out that Ray Boltz "came out of the closet" and revealed that he was a homosexual. I'll be honest, this news really shook me up, I was beyond shocked and saddened; not only for Ray Boltz and the lies that he has not only agreed to but become ensnared by, but for the people for whom his testimony influences and decieves in the process.

Since his recent "coming out" Ray Boltz released a new single called "Don't Tell Me Who to Love" when I listened to the song, it literally brought tears to my eyes. It's tragic that such a talented artist, who was once able to portray and articulate the message of the cross and gospel in an inspirational, powerful, concise way is now using his platform to communicate a message that is in direct contradiction.

I want to be clear, this post is not mean to be a judgment, it's meant to be a warning for the rest of us. A star has fallen and many are watching and can easily be deceived. The truth is we all have the same ability and temptation to "follow our heart" right into sin. In our culture and society we are taught to do exaclty that. However the Bible warns us of this very thing.

Psalm 51:10 "Create in me a pure heart". This scripture shows that without direct help from God our heart is not pure or trustworthy. In addition to that, Proverbs 4:23 says "Guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life." Our heart is at risk - we have a responsibility to guard it - one of the primary things we must protect our heart from is lies and any teaching that isn't biblical. (This is called false teaching).

My prayer is that we (the church) can learn a lesson through Mr. Boltz's experience and that we will realize that our "heart" can lie to us. Our feelings don't always lead us down the "path of righteousness". We must be founded in the Word of God and trust the truth of the Word over whatever feelings, experiences or situation we are currently facing.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Welcome back to blogging regularly! I missed you... Well written article and I think you articulated the point very well. It is a good reminder to guard our hearts, esp if the Lord is using us to minister to others. And that's another reason we need to stay connected and real with others. The devil roams around like a roaring lion looking for whom he can devour.

Jessica said...

Wow, I hadn't heard that (I know, I must live under a rock or something). A good reminder that none of us is immune. If we think we are above temptation or above falling into sin, we are wrong! You're right, we need to constantly be on guard!

Alexis said...

I, too, was unaware of this until I read your blog - It made me really sad because so many of his songs have spoken to me at different times in my life. I am sure you remember me playing "The Anchor Holds" over and over again!!! But when I read your blog and then listened to the song it brought to mind the song "Slow Fade" by Casting Crowns (would put a link but a)don't know how and b)don't know if I could in a comment) But the point being that things like this don't happen over night, we leave a door open here or a window there and before you know it we are believing Satan's lies and accepting them for truth.