Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My First: "In Other Words - Tuesday"

“To ease another’s heartache, is to forget one’s own.”
~Abraham Lincoln~

I love that this is the quote this week for "In Other Words - Tuesday"
It perfectly applies to my life right now and what I have been experiencing. Though this exact quote wasn't on my mind, I had just finished up a Beth Moore study that was focused on a scripture that says basically the same thing. I then read Lori's post, and knew that I had to post something this week.

Isaiah 58:10-11 says "If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday and the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail."

What a refreshing nugget of truth!! As women and mothers especially I find this to be a promise that we can (and should) cling to. Satan is doing everything he can to denigrate all areas of service but especially those of women and mothers.


Now, as a general rule of thumb our families may not be considered hungry or afflicted in comparison, but they are our primary mission field, and those that we are called to "pour ourselves out for" on a daily basis. How refreshing it is to know that with the calling to serve comes a promise of fulfillment.

Let's take a moment to take a closer look at some of these promises. According to verses 10-11 IF we pour ourselves out then:
~ "Your light [will] rise in darkness" - we will be more of a witness to those around us
Being a stay at home mom at times I find myself wishing I was doing more, serving more people, making a "bigger impact". The truth is, the impact that I am having on my children is immeasurable and I am the only mother they will ever have. But in extension to that, people are watching and the kind of mother that I am is a witness to the kind of God that I serve. People are watching you at times that you never realize.

~ Your "gloom" will be as the noonday - We experience the most gloom and emotional valleys when we are most self-consumed and absorbed. When we are busy serving others, the problems we are facing have a tendency to come into perspective.
~ The Lord will guide you continually - How many of us long for this? This is a promise that I want! The more we serve others, the more clearly our calling and direction will come into focus, if we obey the calling that the Lord has placed on our life He will be faithful in giving us more of Him.
~ "and satisfy your desire in scorched places" - The first thing that popped into my head when I read this was the dry and bruised places in our hearts where we have been hurt and damaged. The place in our souls that we have neglected and hardened. We serve from our heart, but if we have lived in the world for very long at all, odds are our heart has been damaged - true healing and fulfillment can come only through Jesus Christ and a closer walk with Him. 1 John 4 is a great chapter to read on abiding in God's love and through His love we are able to love others, I recommend you reading this entire chapter, but for our purposes I want to focus primarily on verses 18 & 19 "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. We love because He first loved us."

All of these promises are real and more than enough reason to stand beside and serve others, but hold on, girls, it gets even better. The real beauty of this promise is that not only do we receive these promises but that this is what we are CALLED to do. Women were designed & created to be "helpers" (Genesis 2:18). Something in us, created in us from the very beginning longs to be helpers and servers of humanity, the calling to serve comes naturally to us.

Sadly, the Enemy has done a good job of deceiving us into thinking that somehow we are better off serving ourselves and that serving others is a degrading punishment of some sort, that we would be better off taking matters into our own hands and looking out for ourselves. That somehow the promises of God don't hold true for us. That our creator does not really have our best interest at heart and that we must look out for ourselves first. Beloved, this is not true!!

The truth is, God is GOOD, and He loves us. His original design was not flawed or broken. Serving others and emptying ourselves out to provide for, nurture, and encourage is more fulfilling than anything we could possibly do for ourselves.

When we live according to these promises and truths we are fulfilling something in ourselves as well as in the lives of those we serve. What an amazing design!

If you would like to read more posts on this quote, head on over to Forever His

4 comments:

lori said...

Amber...
THAT was simply beautiful...and I have to tell you in all honesty, I feel those same feelings of "I wish I were doing MORE." As a stay at home, homeschooling mom...I often think, "God what MORE can I do??" Each time, I'm reminded that I have been asked to take part in the highest calling on earth...to raise God's children such that they become lives lived for Him....

Peace to you...I'm SOOO glad you added this today..it's perfect and just what I needed to hear!

blessings Amber!
lori

Denise said...

So glad you joined in today. This post blessed me.

Susan said...

Hi Amber,

So nice to meet you! Your blog is beautiful.

Thanks so much for joining us today.

I love the way you shared on this scripture. It's one of my favorite promises. (I love Beth Moore!!!)

Please join us again.

Blessings to you and your beautiful family♥

writingcanvas said...

Thank you SO much for joining with us in IOW today and I sure hope you come again. The new post is posted each week on Friday on my blog - and where it will be hosted. So come again.

Thank you for sharing your heart today!