Thursday, April 23, 2009

Upcoming Book Study

I just got through reading A.W. Tozer's book "God's Pursuit of Man" - WOW!! Awesome.

I have heard of A.W. Tozer from several resources and I have always thoroughly enjoyed reading his quotes, however, this is the first book of his that I have read, and I absolutely LOVED it!!
This is for sure a 5 out of 5 stars for me!!

God in His providence is so faithful, this book addressed almost all of the things that I have been "chewing on" in the past several months, it gave me a well organized, and fresh perspective to the many questions I have been bringing to the Lord.
"God's Pursuit of Man" speaks fervently of God's desire for man to be saved and the action He takes as He "invades" the human soul. Tozer then explains how it is through the power and promise of the Holy Spirit that we can truly understand the mystery of the Triune God.
This book, for me, was one I couldn't put down, I finished it in 4 days, and while I was reading it I kept thinking things like "Oh, my goodness, I'm going to have to post on this, this is EXACTLY what I've wanted to say." Because of that, I have decided to do a little book-review/study on the blog. I haven't worked out all the little details, but what I do know is that we will be going through one-section at a time (possibly chapter-by-chapter) and we will take the main point of the chapter/section and discuss it. I will open the post with quotes from the chapter, as well as some scripture and of course a few of my thoughts, and then we will discuss it together.

You will not need to have the book to join in with the discussion. I will provide the main topic of discussion which is possible to do without reading or having the actual book. However, for those of you that like to read a good book or that are interested in going "a little deeper"here is the opportunity to get the book and follow along in the actual book. I would recommend the book, for sure, but again, it's not necessary.

I obviously, have to touch on the fact that for this to work well, and for us to get the most out of it, we need some actual "discussion" (a.k.a comments) please be sure to take the time to post some comments and let us hear what you have to say, whether in agreement or disagreement, the Bible tells us to meditate on and study His Word, and a great way to do that is through discussion. So please, join in if you're interested, and leave a comment on the posts that you either have questions, disagreements or opinions on.

Okay, let's get started!! ..... I mean soon.... not right now, I'm not quiet prepared :)

1 comment:

Andy said...

Hi Amber,
Tozer has another couple of books that are well worth your time: The Knowledge of the Holy, and the Pursuit of God. Those are his two best works in my opinion.

Glad you're promoting these books among your friends in Madison. Not sure exactly how I became aware of your sight (I think it was during a time of crisis for a child in the hospital- prayer support). Anyway, from time to time I drop in.
Peace to you and your family.
Andy Hayner