Thursday, June 11, 2009

Family Adventures

This morning Tim embarked on his weekend adventure with the boys... he's headed up to Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Canada to canoe and camp in the:
wild,
secluded,
animal inhabited,
no running water or power,
no cell phone reception (or land lines),
chilling to the bone night temperatures
outdoors.

(ahem, I don't know why, but I just felt I had to say all of that, but it's kind of cool cause it looks like a pine tree.... get it.... a pine tree... up north.... he he he)

It should be a blast!! I know he is going to see lots of beautiful things, I can't wait to see his pictures. At first I was a little worried, but now I'm mostly just excited. Him and the boys have had this planned for almost a year I think!!

Anyhow, the kids and I are about to embark on our own little adventure. We are headed down to Virginia to see my sister for a week. My older sister will be going with us which is a big relief because I'm flying for the first time with the kids and I don't think I could handle it on my own!! Neither of the kids have flown before so I'm not really sure what to expect. Packing is.... tricky... but I think we're getting it.

We have plans to spend two days in DC (which I was excited about until the recent shootings) and Aunt Nana has a pool and park at her apartment which should keep us busy most days. I also am interested in visiting some of the historical sites in Virginia but not sure if the kids are quite ready for it (we'll certainly try one and see how it goes).

So if you don't hear from me for a while, it's because.... we're out exploring.... please keep all of us in your prayers.... we feel them and we need them!!

2 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I like your creative pine tree poem! I went to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) when I was single with a group of friends. A lot of exercise (protaging canoes, especially!), but a lot of fun and good memories! Honestly, I don't think I'd be up to it now, even without kids! I'm more of a hotel girl, now. :-)

Flying tips: pack snacks, empty sippy cups (fill with water after you go thru security), and some small toys and paper and crayons for T. If you have a portable DVD player, that will help pass the time, too.

In VA/DC, Ted and I went to the spy museum a couple years ago, but it was a disaster with small kids! I recommend it for adults, but NOT for kids under age 6. Probably the outdoor stuff would be better with kids (monuments, etc) if it is a nice day. I don't know where you will be in VA, but Williamsburg and Busch Gardens are both nice.

Here's a page with ideas in VA with young kids:
http://www.virginia.org/site/features.asp?FeatureID=596

Have a great time! I'm sure you guys will.

Amber said...

Thanks alot Jessica, I went ahead and printed off the list of things to do in VA. And thanks too for the flight tips.... I'll take any pointers!!