Tuesday, July 28, 2009

God's Heart of Service & Perfect Timing

This morning in my quiet I was reading my daily Bible reading for my Bible in a year program and one of the sections I read was Acts 17:24-27
'The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. He made from 1 man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward Him and find Him. Yet He is actually not from each one of us for 'In Him we live and move and have our being"
This specific passage of scripture is so interesting to me; Paul was actually preaching to the people of Athens who served MANY gods and had an obsession with learning new things... the town of Athens was full of temples dedicated to any type of god one could think up. They were a very theological/philosophical people and Paul used this information to his advantage in his sermon to illustrate some valid points for not only their lives, but my own lifestyle and struggles as well.

Some of the things that I took away from this:

~ God is the Maker of all things - He doesn't need, nor does He desire my works. He has made and can provide anything He needs (or I need).... all He desires from me is a willing heart to live, move and have my being IN HIM. Like I mentioned before, the people of Athens would build beautifully elaborate and expensive temples for the gods they served, much like them I am constantly trying to build up, clean up and add to my own "temple" as a great and elaborate dwelling place/temple for the Almighty. The truth is, however, He doesn't want or need elaborate false beauty, He desires the simple act of faith IN HIM.

John Piper inspired me once again with His viewpoint on this same scripture he says
"God is so great and so self-sufficient that he cannot be served as though he needed anything, and his Son Jesus Christ is so great and so valuable that his death in our place is a sufficient ransom to pay all our debt to God. The question is, will we believe this, and will we receive God's service of us as the most precious gift in the world? Believing. Receiving. Not serving. That's the posture of a person who is right with God. God sets us right through the death of his Son in our place and we receive this right standing, this peace and acceptance and hope not by working for God, but by trusting in his work for us. "
~ Secondly, Paul made the point that God is the one ultimately in control of placement and timing. He has placed me in this specific place in this certain time, in order that I may know Him better.
This is huge for me right now.
During my quiet time yesterday morning the Lord was showing me some specific areas in my life where He has, in His perfect timing, acted on my (& my family's) behalf. Specifically in the area of health, I have been particularly aware and grateful to His timing recently.
It is comforting to me on days that I have absolutely no idea what is going on that God ultimately remains in control and that His first priority is always that I grow closer to Him - and for my life to glorify Him.
That is my prayer, that my life couple somehow point to Him and bring God glory.

No comments: