Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Book Lists for 2010

Okay, it's taken me a while, but I am finally going to admit it... I may have a problem! The sad part is that I LOVE my "problem", I may be able to admit it, but I'm far from ever giving it up!!

I have a two shelves of books labeled "to read" but when my hubby asked me what I wanted for Christmas, what was my answer? "BOOKS!! Of course!"
Tim and I are prime members on Amazon (which means that we get free 2-day shipping on most all of our purchases) so last night we sat down with my "wishlist" and ordered my Christmas present (trust me, it's better this way!!) I was able to (with gift cards and promotions) to order 10 books!! Oh my goodness, I can hardly wait until Christmas to come, my heart is pounding just thinking about it, I'll try to continue!
In addition to the books I am receiving for Christmas I have several I'm adding from my already growing collection that I would like to read in the next several months/year. I am also fairly certain that I am getting at least one more book from my side of our family Christmas, and if I do, that will be added to this list as well.

I really liked how the "Fall Into Reading Challenge" worked out so I was planning on doing my own "Winter Reading Challenge" and then joining the next challenge hosted by Calapidder Days but for right now, I'm just going to do one larger reading list challenge for the entire year, and we will see how this works out.

I am going to list my book list here and then will reference back to this post throughout the year as I complete books. I will continue to review and post a small synopsis of each book as I read them with their own individual post, as well as little lessons I'm learning along the way, which I will then link up to in this post. You can certainly reference back to this post throughout the year to find all of my links and reviews on all of the books I have read.

Book List (In no particular order):

"Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist" by John Piper
I knew I wanted to get into any John Piper book I could this coming up year. Tim and I had the pleasure of visiting his church back and September and several times since then we have both said "Let's go back" (in fact, we had this conversation last night!!) This book was one of the first ones that I ever knew John Piper wrote. It is based on the concept that as Christians "Delight is our Duty" - it is from this that one of John Piper's more famous philosophies stem "The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever"

"Sacred Marriage: What if God designed Marriage to make us more holy than happy?" by Gary Thomas
I had had this book on my "wishlist" for a while but decided to purchase it after I read Jess' review of it over at Making Home she says "This is, bar-none, the best book on marriage I've ever read. Mr. Thomas clearly lays out God's plan of sanctification, maturity, blessing, and growth through a Christian marriage. I highly recommend it to any man, woman, married or hoping to be married. Happily married couples will find further encouragement; struggling couples will find challenge and hope; future married people will be informed about God's higher purpose. It really is the most solidly biblical portrayal of marriage and intimacy and God's plans that I've yet encountered. Read it."

"Love and War" by John and Stasi Eldredge
This book released yesterday (12/15) I have been patiently (kinda) waiting for it to come out. John and Stasie Eldredge, do I really need to say more? All I really know about the book is that it is a book written by the couple on marriage. Publishers Weekly says "The Eldredges offer sound advice on topics such as the delights of companionship, understanding the enemy is Satan and not your spouse, finding your marriage’s mission, taboo topics, and, yes, sex. They are honest and forthright, never skirting a difficult issue; instead, they offer hope, insight, and their own lives as examples of what God can accomplish. Their summation of marriage: “It can be done. And it is worth it.”
Love and War - Book Review 
Love and War - Praying Together as a Couple  

"Boys and Girls Learn Differently: a Guide for Teachers and Parents" by Michael Gurian
Based on the "theory" (sense the sarcasm) that boys and girls do in fact learn differently despite the messages that our culture and educational system send them.
This book is one I am excited to read now that I have both boys and girls and plan on home schooling both genders! :)

"God as He longs for You to See Him" Chip Ingram
This book was recommended to me by a friend a couple of months ago and I have been anxious to get my hands on it. This past year Tim and I participated in a video-based study by Chip on parenting and it was pretty good.
Right now the Lord is really teaching me to learn the truth about who He is and who I am. Not who I think He is or who I think I am... but the truth.... what does the Bible say? Along with this book go my next two selections. I guess Chip refers to both in this book and they are similar in topic.
How Do You See God?
Review 

"Knowing God" J.I. Packer
Based on the premise that to know God is to love and know His Word.Topics covered include the Trinity, election, God's wrath, and God's sovereignty, God's jealousy, and more. These topics alone are enough to peak my interest, not to mention the fact that it is J.I. Packer who wrote it - an author I have never read, but that I have heard many good things about.

"The Knowledge of the Holy: The Attributes of God" A.W. Tozer
I expect this book to be "deep" like all A.W. Tozer's works but am excited about learning more!!

"This Momentary Marriage" John Piper
Coming from a husband to one wife for over 40 years, this book is bound to have some good advice in it!
Amazon's description said this:
"Even in the days when people commonly stayed married "'til death do us part," there has never been a generation whose view of marriage was high enough, says Pastor John Piper. That is all the more true in our casual times. Though personal selfishness and cultural bondage obstruct the wonder of God's purpose, it is found in God's Word, where his design can awaken a glorious vision capable of freeing every person from small, Christ-ignoring, romance-intoxicated views. As Piper explains in reflecting on forty years of matrimony: "Most foundationally, marriage is the doing of God. And ultimately, marriage is the display of God. It displays the covenant-keeping love between Christ and his people to the world in a way that no other event or institution does. Marriage, therefore, is not mainly about being in love. It's mainly about telling the truth with our lives. And staying married is not about staying in love. It is about keeping covenant and putting the glory of Christ's covenant-keeping love on display."


"Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ" John Piper
This book is John Piper's attempt to paint a biblical picture of who Jesus is, the true Jesus of the Bible, with the hope and prayer that once we do (see the true Jesus) we will learn to love and enjoy Him above anything else in our lives.

"Grace Based Parenting" by Tim Kimmel
Recommended by many (including Mark Driscoll). I've had this book for so long I don't know when I got it - I read something by Mark Driscoll recommending it and then saw it on the shelf a few days later... I figured it was a sign, so I took it off the shelf and put it next to my night stand.The synopsis off of Amazon says "Parents in our post-modern world tend to be committed to but anxious about their child-rearing responsibilities. They've tried the countless parenting books on the market, but many of these are strident, fear-based books that loving parents instinctively reject, while still searching for direction.
Now Dr. Tim Kimmel, founder of Family Matters ministries, offers a refreshing new look at parenting. Rejecting rigid rules and checklists that don't work, Dr. Kimmel recommends a parenting style that mirrors God's love, reflects His forgiveness, and displaces fear as a motivator for behavior. As we embrace the grace God offers, we begin to give it-creating a solid foundation for growing morally strong and spiritually motivated children."

"Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren
I'm actually going to be reading this in the morning as part of my quiet time after the new year, after I am done with "Jesus calling" I will need something to take it's place. It's a 40-day type read. The chapters are longer than what I'm used to with Jesus Calling but I think I can handle it for 40-days.
~UPDATES: 


"Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins we Tolerate" Jerry Bridges
Recommended to me by several people, the first of which, my sister-in-law Tami. I bought it back then and it sat on the night stand and then got put on the shelf. Recently several other people recommended it to me, so I figure it's time to dust it off and read it!!
This book is based on the concept that though we, as Christians, believe that all sins are equal in God's eyes we often live our lives accepting some sins easier than other

"Unspoken" "Unafraid" and "Unshaken" by Francine Rivers
These books I was loaned by my mother-in-law.... about 2 years ago. Somehow they got stuck in a box of homeschooling books and I just found them. These books are based on the Biblical characters, Ruth, Mary & Bethsheba, written in a fictional story book form. This is a series of 5 books, I was loaned 4 of them, I read the one on Tamar when I first got them and it was EXCELLENT - I finished it in 1 day!

Unspoken - Review 

"A Celebration of Sex" by Douglas E. Rosenau
Do I really need to say anything? Highly recommended by Mark Driscoll also was one that I wanted to read ever since listening to Mark's series on the Song of Solomon.

"A Time to Embrace" by Karen Kingsbury
One of the only fiction books on my list. I don't know when, why or where I got this book but I have read other Karen Kingsbury books and really enjoyed them. 

"Lord Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days" Kay Arthur
Kay Arthur, the beloved author that I can't recall reading a single book of!! I know it can't be so... but seriously, I can't think of any! This is a Bible/Study type book so I was hoping to read/complete this book in between the Beth Moore Study that I am currently in and the Beth Moore study I am hoping to take in the summer or next fall (if the one I want is offered!) 

"Say Goodbye to Whining" by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller
On the back of the book it says at the top "Help Change Kid's Hearts -Nnot Just Their Behavior"
This book is based on "an honor-based" solution and claims to teach you (1) Six ways to teach honor to your children (2) A three-step approach to deal with meanness (3) Five helpful parenting skills (4) Three Biblical solutions to sibling rivalry and (5) Loads of practical family activities
.... sounds good to me!!....

"What Difference do It Make?" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
This is the second book by Hall and Moore, the first "The Same Kind of Different as Me" I read last year and thoroughly enjoyed. This book is an update as to what they have been up to since the release of their first book. I was actually contacted by Thomas Nelson Publishing and they are sending me a complimentary copy of this book to read and review for you all here!! I cannot wait!! This is an opportunity that I never expected and that completely excites me.

Creative Correction by Lisa Welchel
This book I have actually read part of it before. I don't know that it will be so much of a "read-through" as a resource for me. When I first read the books, Treyton was pretty young (like 2 years old) I couldn't really implement alot of the ideas yet. Now that he's older and we have more than one kid alot of these ideas are ones I can use. I have already picked it up and read a little here and there and started using some of the ideas and so far... they're working!

So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore
This book is an add-in. While I wouldn't use the word to describe me as insecure, I do have a lot of areas of insecurity. Areas of bondage really that I want to be set free from. I am hoping that through this book God will give me some of the tools I need to be free!!

Well, there you have it, a list of 20 + books! I am also planning, if at all possible to read/do Beth Moore's "Breaking Free" study as well as her "Believing God" study sometime this year... we will see if I have that opportunity or not ;)

UPDATED: Books Added throughout the Year (you knew I would!)
"Where is God?" by John Townsend
I received a Complimentary copy of this book from the Thomas Neloson Blog Reviewer network -
You can read my review here

Radical by David Platt
And incredible book about taking back our faith from the American Dream - read my review here as well as a link to read the first chapter of the book along with a video and other resources.

Fearless by Max Lucado
A review book from Thomas Nelson.
Can you imagine a life without fear? Broken down into different fears many of us face, this is a book I've needed to read for a while. Read my review here.

The Lord's Prayer by R.T. Kendall
“No prayer is better known--or more misunderstood--than the prayer Jesus provided in his Sermon on the Mount. Turning a keen eye to this much-loved topic, R. T. Kendall unlocks the transforming truths of what we now call the Lord's Prayer. With wisdom and depth, he offers thoughtful exposition on the life-changing revelations contained in each line of this amazing prayer, including: * interpreting and praying in the will of God * the purpose of the Lord's Prayer * when to pray the Lord's Prayer * how unanswered prayer can be a sign of God's favor * misusing the Lord's Prayer * why pray at all? * and more Readers will come away not only with a model for prayer, but with a revolutionary way to pray effectively while drawing closer to the Father.”
Read my review 

Indivisible by Kristien Heitzman
I actually managed to squeeze in a fiction book - I love fiction!
My Review 

Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman
An auto-biography of the journey the Lord has taken Mary Beth (Steven Curtis Chapman’s wife) on, including the loss of their precious 5-year old Maria. A great book that will not only have you laughing out loud, but crying only moments later.

Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski
My Review

A Rush of Wings Kristin Heitzmann
My Review

Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker
My Review


I would love it if you all would share some of the books you're planning on reading in the upcoming months/year as well as your opinions on the books that I have chosen!! If you have read any of them, please comment with what you liked or didn't like about it/them.

5 comments:

Alexis said...

Okay, my list is quite shorter than yours but here it is.
- Get Out of the Pit by Beth Moore
- Crazy Love by Francis Chan (I was actually invited to a Bible Study by my future neighbor for this one beginning in Jan.)
- The Sacred Romance by John Eldridge
- Believing God (bible study)Beth Moore
- Breaking Free: Making Liberty in Christ a Reality in Your Life.
-Waking the Dead by John Eldridge

There were several others you mentioned that I would also like to read.
Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free.
Sacred Marriage
Love and War (definitely)
Jesus Lives and Dear Jesus (Sarah Young)

Kind of a lofty goal for me but I will give it my best shot!!

For His Glory said...

Thank you for the head's up on John Eldredge's book coming out. I've been waiting and I didn't know it came out. It is being bought today:)

Amber said...

Mom (Alexis), all of those choices look great. Thanks for sharing! I highly recommend Crazy Love, I think it would be an INCREDIBLE book to do as a study, being able to talk about it with other women would just be thick icing on an already great cake!
Go for it!

Michelle said...

What a reading list! I need to make one.

I'm out blog hopping tonight and found your site..."young Christian mom..." in your description somewhere drew me here.

Knowing God is awesome! And so is John Piper! I'm not to fond of Rick Warren. I sometimes feel the megachurch mentality leads away from scripture. I had a friend recommend recently Crazy Love. I may have to check it out. and get to work on my own reading list!

Samantha White said...

Great list. I can't wait to hear about the "whining" book. May have to pick that one up to read.