Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fall Into Reading: What Jesus Demands from the World


This will be my final post for Fall Into Reading Challenge 2009!
I'm a little sad that it's over, but I'm looking forward to the next chapter (pun intended) of my reading adventures!!

What Jesus Demands from the World by John Piper

This book starts out (in the introduction) explaining that it's not an ordinary book. Piper specifically wrote the book with smaller chapters so that you could read them in one sitting. He also wrote the book so that you wouldn't have to read it straight through (or even all of it if you didn't want to). Personally, I think it would work as a great 50 day devotional.

As the title states, the book is based on the commands/demands that Jesus gave during His time here on earth. Some of the chapters were more in-depth and easier to accept than others, but lets be honest some of Jesus' commands were more in-depth than others.

In the beginning, I was most attracted to this book for the simple fact that I wanted to read the collection of "Jesus' Demands" in one place as well as an explanation as to what He meant by each demand. I wasn't disappointed in this respect.

In the past, when I have read the gospels, I have certainly questioned and even misunderstood many of the things that Jesus has said. This book was a great resource to clear up some questions that I had, and even made me aware of some of the misunderstandings that I didn't realize I had. 

Overall I really enjoyed the book. Each chapter has the potential to be both convicting and encouraging. It tackles the question - What does Jesus really want from His followers? What does it look like to serve and follow Jesus?

Some of my favorite chapters
#17 - Humble Yourself In Childlikeness, Servanthood and Brokenhearted Boldness
# 20 - Be Justified by Trusting Jesus
# 21 - Do the Will of My Father Who Is In Heaven - Be Transformed by Trusting Jesus
# 22 - Strive to Enter Through the Narrow Door, For All of Life is a War 
# 40 - What God Has Joined Together Let No Man Separate, For Marriage Mirrors God's Covenant with Us
# 41 - What God Has Joined Together Let No Man Separate, For Whoever Divorces and Marries Another Commits Adultery

On a five star rating system I would give 3.75 stars :) I know, way to be decisive - right?


1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'll have to check that out. John Piper's - The Passions of Jesus Christ is great. It has the same format for chapters (50 short).