Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Purpose Driven Life: Day 2


I have already finished my Jesus Calling book for the year, I had gotten ahead at some point during the year and never slowed down so... I finished a little early.

I went ahead and started Purpose Driven Life - I am on day 2. So far I really enjoy this book - it's hitting me right where I am at. God has once again brought me to a place where He seems to be reminding me (constantly) that HE IS SOVEREIGN and in control, and that I am not! This book in just the first two days has reemphasized that.

Today on Day 2 there is a poem by Russell Kelfer that I wanted to put up here

You are who you are for a reason. 
You're part of an intricate plan.
You're a precious and perfect unique design, 
Called God's special woman or man.


You look like you look for a reason.
Our God made no mistake. 
He knit you together within the womb,
You're just what he wanted to make.


The parents you had were the ones he chose,
And no matter how you may feel, 
They were custom-designed with God's plan in mind,
And they bear the Master's seal. 


No, that trauma you faced was not easy. 
And God wept that it hurt you so;
But it was allowed to shape your heart 
So that into his likeness you'd grow 


You are who you are for a reason,
You've been formed by the Master's rod.
You are who you are, beloved, 
Because there is a God!! 

I don't know about you, but that just says something to me! Alot, actually.

I struggle often times with the way that I look... silly things, like my hands, I hate my hands - I think they look like little man hands. But the truth is, God made these hands, just the way they are. They aren't random, they aren't unknown. They are the hands God gave me to complete the tasks that he's given me. No, I'm not saying I like how they look, but I'm I want to appreciate them for what they are - a gift - a handmade, personalized, thought out purposeful gift from my creator.

I've also been through a few traumas (can I get a witness?) in my life. I don't pretend to know how it all works and I'm not writing this to start any theological/doctrinal debates - but I will say it nonetheless - anything, no everything, that has happened to me or in my life has been allowed in some sense or another by my Father - NOTHING goes unnoticed by him, NOTHING is without his knowledge. While I don't understand it, while I may question the 'why' and never receive an answer. I know and I trust that He cried tears with me and held me close in my darkest hours. He has a plan, and that plan is beyond anything I can understand!! I know that disturbs many, but for me, it brings me comfort.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm interested in how The Purpose Driven Life goes for you. I'm not a huge Rick Warren fan...yet. God could change that. :)

I was just saying today to someone that I find peace in that God is Sovereign in all things. I tell my husband when he worries that he should believe God. When we truly believe, we believe He is sovereign and that He has a plan.

And girl... with the trauma stuff having purpose...I'm right there with you!

Amber said...

I don't know that much about Rick Warren personally, but I have heard alot of good things about this book? Have you read the book? Or heard much about it? What is it that you don't like about Rick Warren?

Michelle said...

I had the book several years ago and sold it in a yardsale. I believe when I was reading I found some things I didn't feel lined up with scripture. (But that was YEARS ago, so I could have grown and see things a bit differently now?? And it was so long ago I couldn't say specifics.) I feel some people are taking away from the book that our life has some other purpose than to glorify God.

The reason I'm not big on Rick Warren is this. He writes best sellers. People love his books. That always makes me suspicious. I believe if you are teaching the TRUE Jesus, people are not going to like what you say, even professing Christians. Jesus Himself said you will be hated for my names sake. Rick is loved by the secular as well as Christian world. Let's take John Piper for instance, he has a pretty big following... but do you think the White House would like what he has to say?? Rick Warren would and has fit right in...even as an "evangelical." As an advisor to political leaders, do you think he is discussing God's word? I think he may say stuff that sounds good at first, but I'm not sure He is as "radical" as God calls us to be.

I hope that makes sense??