Saturday, February 6, 2010

Freedom Through Truth

I am 3 weeks in to the Beth Moore "Breaking Free" study. I am absolutely loving it and as always, the Lord was faithful in aligning the study in my life at a perfect time. The truth is, most of us (if not all of us) are in some sort of bondage in our spiritual walk and are in need of a little (or a lot) of FREEDOM! Beth describes captivity as anything that prevents us from experiencing an abundant and effective Spirit-filled life.

I don't know about you, but I can think of a few things that are holding me in captivity.

This week in the study Beth talked specifically about truth as we interpret it, lies we believe from the enemy and the ultimate Truth of God.

Something that God really pressed on my heart was the fact that our truth (which is a combination of our environment and experiences) is subject to our perception.

I have never seen that as clearly as I have this last week - on Monday, I went back to a town that I lived in as a little girl. My sister actually bought a house there and I was on my way to help her unpack and decorate. While we were there I showed the kids and Tim the house I lived in for 2 years (a near record for our family), my old neighborhood, the gas station where we bought penny candy (that's no longer open), and the "big" hill that we used to ride our bikes on.
To say that I was a little surprised would be an understatement, truth is, I was SHOCKED by how much smaller and different things were than what I remembered. Our house was similar to what I remembered, but the neighbor's house some how shrunk and the "old neighborhood" was WAY smaller, the roads were narrower, the trees shorter, and the "big" hill we used to ride our bikes on I almost missed and the little town grocery store which I thought was at least a mile down the road was actually only a block away!!

I kept telling Tim: "This is so surreal, I remember it, it hasn't changed that much, but it's not exactly like I remember it, it's so much.... smaller." (and let's be honest, it's not that I'm that much bigger!)

This is excactly what the study was talking about - our truth is based on our perception. It's not that what we think isn't real - but it IS effected by our perception, interpretation and our memory (which can be selective). "Not everything we think happened, happened the way we think it did." ~Beth Moore~

I Praise the Lord that we have a hope and a reality that is not reliant on our flawed human ability - we have an absolute Truth. A Truth that is unaffected by perception, emotion or bias and this is God's Truth!

Isaiah 44:20-22 (regarding a man in idolatry) says "He feeds on ashes: a deluded heart has led him astray and he cannot deliver himself or say 'Is there not a lie in my right hand?' Remember these things... I formed you; you are my servant; you will not be forgotten by Me. I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you."

Beloved, read that verse as many times as you need too - it is like a desperately needed breath of fresh air!!

We are clinging to an idol of false perception (of our truth) we often allow our "truth" to affect our emotions and our pain; to define our lives, our thoughts, our prejudices and our fears. Just think of a few of the lies we have fallen in trap to and live in every day:
~ We know that God loves the world, but we can't accept that He loves us individually
~ We doubt the presence of God in our daily lives
~ We live guilty and full of shame after we have been fully forgiven
The list could go on - we all have our issues, but we're struggling to even admit that part of the problem is that what we are believing is a lie (v. 20)! I love the second part of the verse - God gives us a very powerful list of Truths that are FACT - not relative to how we are feelings or what we can see, but on Him and His character - this is an unfailing, absolute.

My encouragement to you today is to, regardless of what you are feeling or seeing in your life, cling to what you KNOW to be true. Cling to the character of God which you may not fully understand but that the Word tells you is true about Him. Cling to the promises that He has given you in His Word.

To help get you started I will give you a list of some of the truths that I have needed and clung to in the last week:
~ God will never leave me (Hebrews 13:5, Isaiah 43:2-3)
~ The LORD will give strength to His people; the LORD will bless His people with peace (Psalm 29:11)
~ Regardless of how I feel, God knows what is going on in my life and He is working it out for my good (Romans 8:28, Job 23:8-10)

I pray that as you begin to seek His Word for His truth that it will penetrate your heart and change your life, bringing you freedom! 




2 comments:

Mandi Miller said...

I LOVE that study! It is one of my favorites!!

Ticia said...

Amen! A very timely post. I saved it from when I first saw it, knowing I would want to read this right now. Thank you for sharing.