Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Natural Living: Detox Recipes

My dear, dear, dear, husband started a detox diet in the beginning of January this detox is directed and controlled by our doctor, so no, this post is not to assist you in going through your own detox - if it's something you're interested in pursuing ask your health care provider to direct you in a safe, effective way to detox.

What this post is about is to share some of the yummy recipes that my hubby came up with (mostly on his own). In the first week Tim was on a very limited diet, with no meat and lots of protein supplements. One of the first things he made was a Bean Salsa. I was not excited about it in the least bit until I ate it and then I seriously couldn't stop - it was so delicious!! Now, to clarify, I am NOT one of those people that will lie to you and tell you --- oh eating healthy and organic deserts are just as good as the fatty processed ones, lets be honest it's just not true! But seriously, this salsa... super yummy... I don't know of anything processed to compare it to - but just as far as eating goes, I actually craved this, which is saying something (I don't crave much healthy stuff)

All-Organic Bean Salsa:
Now my husband and I do not use alot of measuring in our cooking but I will do my best
6 Roma Tomatoes (seeded and cut up in small pieces)
1 Cucumber (cubed, small)
1/2 Red Onion, chopped
1 Green Pepper, chopped
Black Beans (canned, about 1/2 a can)
Garbanzo Beans (canned, about 1/2 a can)
Kidney Beans (canned, about 1/2 a can)
Minced Garlic (for your taste)
Sea Salt (to taste, I like more than Tim)
Cayenne Seasoning (to taste)
Lime Juice (for your taste, we use about 1 - 2 Tbl)

You can eat it right away but it taste better after the lime juice has had time to do it's thing and the salsa has been chilled. Tim was not able to eat it on chips or anything, and I didn't need to - we would literally just scoop up a bowl and chow down!!


A few nights later Tim made some really great
Organic Vegetable Soup 
He sauteed:
Minced Garlic
Onions, chopped
Green Pepper, chopped
Beets, cubed
and his Organic Bean Salsa

He was careful not to cook the vegetables too much keeping them a little crispy, which was one of my favorite things about the soup.

He added in organic vegetable broth (I'm not sure how much but it really depends on how soupy you like your soup)

He then seasoned with:
Cayenne
Sea Salt
Seasoning Salt

After we ate this a couple times we started topping the soup with organic broccoli/carrot slaw and once Tim could add in chicken to his diet (the third week) we would chop up some chicken breast to add in - this soup because of the vegetables is warm (for the winter) but offers a refreshing crispiness and freshness that reminds me of summer - a perfect combo for January!
DELICIOUS!! 

1 comment:

DramaMama said...

Sound super yummy!! Can't wait to try the salsa. If you want a super east home-made tortilla chip recipe, check out Mexican Made Easy on Food Network. I am watching a taped episode right now and her recipe looks real easy. Brush oil on corn tortillas, put them in a stack, cut into triangles and spread on trays and bake in the oven! Sprinkle with salt when they come out. Yum!