Monday, March 8, 2010

37.5 Week Appointment

Today I had my 37.5 week appointment. My doctor is out of town, so I saw a new doctor - though I have seen his nurses before (my doc only has one nurse right now, so other nurses step in to help), I had never seen him before.
Good news is I only put on 1 pound!! Yea!
Bad news is I had high blood pressure for the first time in my life - tear, tear. (The actual reading was 138/100) I also had protein in my urine and the doc noticed that my feet were a little swollen.
Because of all this they decided to take some blood work for preeclampsia (not real sure how to spell that). The blood work came back normal but the doc said if it came back normal they would still want to see me on Wednesday, because even with normal blood work you can be preeclamptic. So for right now, I have an appointment set up for 9am on Wednesday for a blood pressure check. If my blood pressure is still high they are talking about inducing me this week yet.

I'll be honest, I'm a little shocked by the idea of it all, wasn't really expecting that when I went in, but at the same time, I'm not all that worried about it either. The doctor said that it does happen but that it's actually pretty rare to become toxic on your third pregnancy (or later). But it's something they take seriously and monitor closely.
So at this point, I'm supposed to be "taking it easy" - doc says he wants to see me laying down on the couch for at least 4 hours a day - activities with the kids are supposed to include story time and cuddling - not park visits (whatever that means) :)

The baby's heart rate looked good - and he didn't tell me what I was measuring which I assume means I was okay.

He did check my cervix and he said I was a "large 1, basically 2cm and soft".
So... that's that... It could be any day now I guess.
I'm hoping to at least wait until next week when my doc gets back but to be honest, I'm not to concerned about which doctor actually delivers.

I'll update more on Wednesday!

4 comments:

Ticia said...

I don't know if this is encouraging or not, but I had preeclampysia with my boys. And had an emergency C-section as a result of it, but the boys came out fine, I was fine, and it all turned out good. The only thing that was hard, is the medicine they give you if you have it is tends to make you really hot, so you'll probably have the AC on high in your hospital room. Aside form that I had no reactions really.

Mandi Miller said...

Well, even if you do have Preeclampsia then at least you are far enough along that you won't really have to worry! :)
I mean, I think it can cause early labor but since you are full term then that doesn't matter! I will be praying for a safe delivery!!! Congratulations!!!

Jenna said...

I can't believe it's so close! This is so exciting :) I'll be praying for a safe and healthy delivery.

For His Glory said...

Praying for you today!!! May the peace of God be with you in whatever decision is made.

Love, Jaime