Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Review {Bibleman: Combating the Commandment of Confusion}

Bibleman - an evil battling superhero that loves Jesus. A dream come true for mom's with superhero engrossed little boys! 

This particular Bibleman DVD is the first our family has seen any of the Bibleman movies.

Treyton really enjoyed the DVD. He is really in to superheros and fighting, so this was right up his alley.
For me, I was only so-so on the movie. I felt like the acting was pretty corny and parts of it were a little over my 4.5 year old's head (to be fair it did say great for 6 year olds). I also think the movie would have been better if it wasn't performed and taped in front of a live audience. The movie seemed cheaply made. However, Treyton didn't seem to notice or mind one bit.

When I asked Treyton what the movie was about he said it was "About God, and the Bible - like how Jesus died on the cross for us". This isn't entirely inaccurate because they did offer the salvation message at the end of the movie, but the focus of the movie was not about Jesus and the cross. The movie is actually about Bibleman's mission to stop the "bad-guy" The Commandment of Confusion and his side kick Chaos from stealing the Bible Team's secret weapon which helps them put on the Armor of God anytime, anyplace. The movie has a great message about how God is not the author of confusion and also about the importance of the Armor of God.

Overall, I think that this (and probably any other Bibleman DVDs) is a great alternative to what the world has to offer for our kids, especially boys, for a superhero show. The focus of power is on God and the Bible as it's source. As an adult, it's certainly not my style, but I can see how and why kids would love it. If your child is in to superheros and action I would recommend this movie for you.

I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Our church library has a ton of the Bibleman DVDs and they are very popular with many families (we work in the library and see them checked out regularly).

However, one of the DVDs was shown during a church preschool class (3-5 y.o.'s), and my girls were very frightened by it. Granted, they are from a family of girls and are sensitive, but I just wanted to make people aware. I'm sure the teachers didn't think it would be scary, but it can be intense for those not used to it!

Mimi said...

I review for Thomas Nelson & love their books!

I'm just stopping in from SITS to say hello & welcome!