Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review: I Love God's Green Earth

"I Love God's Green Earth" written by Michael and Caroline Carroll

Book Description:
Kids love working on practical projects to help take care of the Earth; they are often the family’s biggest proponents of recycling. This book will attract those eco-friendly kids and teach them how creation care can actually draw them closer to God. Each devotion includes a Scripture verse, a “Connection” section to help kids apply both the biblical and environmental lessons, and a “What Can I Do?” section with a takeaway activity. Jokes and fun facts are also included throughout the devotion to make this book fun, informative, and interesting to readers.

Review: 
We read this book as a family devotional every night after dinner.It was slightly over my kids heads (Ages 4.5 and 2), but they still seemed to enjoy it. I think that Treyton (my 4.5 year old) mostly enjoyed it for the jokes at the end of the devotional (they don't all have jokes and on the nights there weren't jokes he was thoroughly disappointed). But even now he will still grab the book and ask me to find some jokes for him (even though he doesn't "get" any of them) it is pretty funny.

When I received this book, I was thinking it was going to be too "green" for our family. We love our planet and we have taken many steps towards being more earth friendly but we are not fanatical in this area, and we don't plan on becoming fanatical either, so I was preparing myself to be bombarded with all the things we were doing wrong that we should change, while knowing full well we weren't really going to do many of the things in the book. Surprisingly that wasn't what we got at all.

This book does a great job emphasizing that we can't do it all but that just doing one thing makes a big difference. This was something that Treyton really "got" out of this book and I was pleased with that. It also gave small practical ways to be earth friendly that kids really could be a part of.
One particular way that our family was affected was in the area of keeping the earth clean. The day before we started the devotional Treyton saw some trash blowing around in a parking lot. We talked about how we should throw our trash away to keep God's earth clean so we picked up the trash in the parking lot. Then on day 3 the suggested activity was to make a game out of throwing away trash every time your outside - I was proud that this was something that stuck in Treyton's mind and that he considered important.

I received this book free from Tyndale Publishers as part of their review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: