Monday, May 3, 2010

Review (and free book) "Radical" by David Platt

I first heard of David Platt, a young pastor of a large church in Alabama, when Tim and I went to a video teaching series back in January, featuring his sermons and teachings. By the time we made it through the first sermon Tim and I were hooked! We have since watched several of his sermon series as well as some of the Secret Church sessions that he's taught. We have learned so much through his teachings and we would both highly recommend his sermon's to anyone.

Before I received the book (or even knew there was a book) I did listen to part of the Radical sermon series and Tim and I, by God's grace, were convicted, and had begun then to pray about what God has in mind for our lives and our relationship with Him, and what this looks like for our family. When I heard about the book, I could only imagine what God would have in store for us. All that to say, I was very excited to be given this review opportunity.  

"Radical" by David Platt is about "Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream".
The questions that this book ask are hard ones to answer, and the challenges put before you even harder. Take a look at the book description to see what I mean: 

"Do you believe that Jesus is worth abandoning everything for? Do you believe him enough to obey him and to follow him wherever he leads, even when the crowds in our culture -maybe even our churches- turn the other way?"
In Radical, David Platt invites you to encounter what Jesus actually said about being his disciple, and then obey what you have heard. He challenges you to consider with an open heart how we have manipulated a God-centered gospel to fit our human-centered preferences. With passionate storytelling and convicting biblical analysis, Platt calls into question a host of comfortable notions that are common among Christ's followers today. Then he proposes a radical response: live the gospel in ways that are true, filled with promise, and ultimately world changing."
If you are familiar at all with the Bible, you may not find any verses or Bible stories you haven't heard before, but after reading this book you won't be able to ignore them any longer! To say this book is eye-opening is an understatement.
Truth be told, as much as I love this book (and I really do), it was one of the toughest books I have ever read. It has challenged me in ways that no other book has. It has brought me face-to-face with my faith and has asked the daring question "Do I really trust Jesus as Lord of my life?"

It is hard for me not to go into this book more in-depth here. I have so much I want to share with you, specific quotes and even entire sections of the book that are "must reads" (IMO) but because this is a book review I will simply say this - GET THIS BOOK AND READ IT!! It is a must-read for any believer, new or old. I don't believe any one could read this book with an open heart and willing spirit and put it down without finding an area in their life that God is calling them to entrust to Him. If taken to heart this book is life-changing and used alongside the Bible, it has the potential to change the American church, and thus the world. 

Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers are as excited about David Platt's new book as I am, and because they too see the value of his message they are offering a free book called "The Radical Question". It is a small book that is based on excerpts of "Radical", it is a great resource to get you started and to share with others. To request your free copy you can go here.

If your interested in this book, and I really hope that you are, you can download and read the first chapter here. Or you can purchase the book here.

More Resources:
I also found this site where you can download and listen to sermons preached by David Platt on the different texts that are mentioned in that chapter.



I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

1 comment:

These Three Kings said...

wow wow and wow!!! I am still waiting for my copy to come in the mail! Thanks for such a encouraging review!!
Nicole