Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Vegetable Garden

Living out in the country, we knew we wanted to put in a vegetable garden, we didn't last year because Tim hurt his hand. So this year we finally did it --- I am so proud!


We planted:
Carrots
Beets
Onions
Tomato
Green Pepper
Jalepeno Pepper
Basil
Green Beans, Pole
Zucchini
Cucumber
Watermelon
Peas
Corn

So far everything has come up and is growing really well except for the carrots.... but now that I've done a little research on carrots I'm not sure I planted them in the right conditions. They say carrots do best in cooler temperatures and that you should plant them a week or so before the last frost. I planted mine in probably the hottest week on the year in about 90 degree weather. They also said to work the soil 12 inches down, which I didn't do either. Oh well, you live and learn and next year I will do better.

For all of our vegetables I created labels that the kids could read (with pictures), laminated them and put them in our garden.
Getting ready to till the soil
The kids have been a big help with the garden, weeding, watering and watching. Lexa doesn't realize she isn't supposed to walk on the plants, but she is learning.... slowly.

No comments: