Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Review: Fearless

image

Fearless written by Max Lucado

Product Description

“Imagine your life, wholly untouched by angst. What if faith, not fear was your default reaction to threats? If you could hover a fear magnet over your heart and extract every last shaving of dread, insecurity, or doubt, what would remain? Envision the day your can trust more and fear less. Can you imagine your life without fear?”

Review

If anyone needed to read this book it was me. Having battled with fear my entire life, when I saw Max Lucado’s book titled “Fearless” I thought ‘Sounds like something I need to read’ , I put it off for a while, but sooner or later I knew it would find it’s home on my nightstand.

Broken down into specific fears that many of us struggle with (ex: fear of not protecting my kids, fear of violence, fear of disappointing God, fear that God is not real, etc.), each chapter talks about our specific fears as well as scripture to combat these fears. Using illustrations and examples from real-life experiences and people, Max Lucado has written a very applicable book for most Americans.

Something I found particularly interesting was a quote Lucado put in the first chapter titled “Why Are We Afraid?” and it said ‘ordinary children today are more fearful that psychiatric patients were in the 1950s’!! Can you believe it? A part of me wants to say ‘no way’ but the other part of me wants to say ‘so true’. My son, reminds me all to often of the personal fears I’ve faced being placed upon his shoulders by an over-controlling mother.

Reminded once again of the power of fear, I long more than ever to beat this thing down, FOR GOOD! While I know this may be a life long battle in my life, it’s books like these that encourage me to keep fighting me, showing me what it is I’m fighting for… and that’s freedom!!

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Fear, at it’s center is a perceived loss of control”

“It’s not the absence of storms that sets us apart. It’s whom we discover in the storm: an unstirred Christ.”

“The moment a concern surfaces, deal with it. Don’t dwell on it. Head off worries before they get the best of you.”

“Jesus says so little about parenting…. yet his actions speak volumes about prayer. Each time a parent prays, Christ responds. His big message to moms and dads? Bring your children to me. Raise them in a greenhouse of prayer.”

“What makes no sense in this life will make perfect sense in the next. I have proof: you in the womb.”

“Most of our fears are poisonous. They steal sleep and pillage peace. But this fear is different. ‘From a biblical perspective there is nothing neurotic about fearing God. The neurotic thing is not to be afraid, or to be afraid of the wrong thing. That is why God chooses to be known to us, so that we may stop being afraid of the wrong things. When God is fully revealed to us and we ‘get it,’ then we experience the conversion of our fear… ‘ Fear of the Lord is the deeply sane recognition that we are not God.”

“When Christ is great, our fears are not.”

Disclosure

I received a complimentary copy of this book to review from Thomas Nelson Publishers. The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: