Friday, September 24, 2010

Audrey 6 Months

Audrey, Our Sweet Baby Girl,

I cannot believe that 6 months has passed since you were born. I have had so much fun watching you grow and develop these past months, and I find myself desperate to remember every detail about your little hands, bright eyes and lumpy gums. You are so perfect, every bit of you, inside and out and I wish I could freeze pieces of you in time to look back on forever, I suppose these letters are my best attempt at that.  IMG_0102_B&W

I have enjoyed each one of your stages and milestones with the same awe struck wonder as if you were the first child I have ever held. I always thought that by my third child I’d be “used to” things and not have the same excitement and emotional reaction as I did with my first, but that hasn’t been the case at all. I think that I’ve finally realized that kids really do grow up in a “blink of an eye” and just how fast that blink goes.

I want to cherish every moment and remember every soft smell of your baby skin – God is so good, what a blessing and miracle it is to be a mom. I pray I never take advantage of it.

IMG_0001_1You were born at a unique time in the life stage of our family: as we hold you in our arms, we also have the privilege of watching our first born (your older brother) transition from preschool to boyhood. It’s an unexplainable thing being a part of two very different and awesome stages. There’s a strong sense of how fast times goes by, how exciting the future is, and how very priceless every memory we make together is. So, as I wipe away the tears of joy from my eyes realizing how far we have come as a family and how far we have yet to grow together, I also wipe a few tears of sadness as well as I realize how much I am going to miss pieces of the past.  IMG_0021I hope that you’re getting from this letter, what a privilege it has been watching you learn and grow. You are such a special little girl and I wish that I could somehow record every little thing you do, and though we both know I can’t, I hope that these few little glimpses will paint a good enough picture for us to look back on this time and remember the things that mattered the most. So for now, here’s a small list of all the things I know that I’m going to miss when you sneak past this stage of life on your way to the next.

~ I’m going to miss the way you laugh and smile whenever you see me from across the room. You  are nearly as in love with me as I am with you, and I know when we are laying on the floor laughing together that it is the best place in the world to be. Though your brother and sister both loved me the most at this age as well, no other child has ever reacted to me with such enthusiasm, seeking nothing else, than to simply be close to your mama. I want you to know I don’t take that lightly.

IMG_0099 ~ I’m going to miss the way you nurse. You were my first thumb sucker and if we’re not holding hands while you nurse (which you try to do first) you are sucking on at least one finger while nursing.

~ I’m going to miss the way you talk. A little squealer, you will often be laying on the floor, talking to yourself without a care in the world. For being such a content baby that rarely cries loudly, you sure do talk loud!

~ I love how easily you make and do everything. You sleep well, you nap well, you’re content in most situations, you’re a good eater, and you love your family. In fact the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that you get fussy about is temperature – used to a non-humid 75 degrees, you don’t like anything colder than 70 or warmer than 85, something I can relate to and understand :)

IMG_0012~ I don’t want to forget how you took a 6 hour nap last week (from 10am – 4pm), it was definitely a record for our family!!

~ I’m going to miss how your head bobbles. Though you’ve had “head control” for a while, your head seems just a tad to heavy for your neck at times creating a hilarious bobble.

IMG_0031 ~ I’m going to miss your absolutely suckable fingers – I’m not surprised your a thumb sucker now that I’ve gotten my own taste of your adorably delicious fingers. You’re always doing cute things with them, whether it’s grabbing the sides of my face while I eat your belly and cover you with kisses or clasping them in front of your body as you stare at them cross-eyed, I can’t help but love them to pieces.

IMG_0125_bw ~I’m going to miss how easily you fall asleep. You prefer to sleep alone (like your mama) and simply need to be laid down, almost anywhere, to take a nap.

~ I’m going to miss the way you make a little “o” with your lips when you are concentrating hard to stand and balance. Actually, I’m going to miss all the cute things you do with your lips. You suck on your bottom lip, which is absolutely adorable. You also clench your jaw at times and look just like my dear grandmother (the same great-grandmother whose name you bear).

Brewer Game 10.6.10 - 19 ~ I’m going to miss the lack-of-desire to compare you with others. You are such a unique baby and so different from your brother and sister, I am surprised and grateful to the fact that I don’t often compare you to them or any other baby. In fact I find myself embracing every milestone you’ve hit with such gratefulness, I sometimes forget to even record it. I don’t know why really, but I find myself infatuated with your babyness, while I looked forward to every milestone Treyton and Alexa were about to hit, I approach yours much more cautiously. I am truly in love with your sweet-hearted, pure personality and if I don’t push you enough, it’s only because I’m cherishing the moment we’re in right now. Thank you for letting me.

IMG_0117 copy

~ At 6 months of age (almost 7) you have had no solid foods yet, unlike your brother and sister I have decided to breast feed you exclusively for as long as I can. The way allergies tend to run in our family, we feel like this is best. You seem to be slightly interested in food, but I don’t believe that it’s food as much as anything we have in our hands you like to put in your mouth.

Sweetheart, I know there is so much I am leaving out, but more important than any of these smaller details, I want you to know that I have loved EVERY minute of the last 6 months of being your mom, and I look forward to the lifetime that we have in front us, watching you grow into the woman you are to become, whoever that may be.  I love you so, so much. And as much as I cherish today, I also look forward to our tomorrow as our family continues to grow together and find out more and more about each other.

Thank you for the joy you bring into our family every day. You are a very special part of this family. 

We love you.

Mom (& Dad)

No comments: