Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Then Sings My Soul

Few have probably heard of Annie Sherwood, a stay at home mother and wife in the late 1800s. I hadn’t either until recently, but now she is someone I won’t soon forget.

Annie Sherwood once said “One day as a young wife and mother of 37 years of age, I was busy with my regular household tasks. Suddenly I became so filled with the sense of nearness to the Master that, wondering how one could live without Him, either in joy or pain, these words “I Need Thee Every Hour” were ushered into my mind, the thought at once taking full possession of me.”

And so it was that the hymn “I Need Thee Every Hour” came to be.

image Then Sings my Soul written by Robert J Morgan is a book with this and 149 other hymn’s stories and inspirations recorded for the reader. Though Annie Sherwood’s “I Need Thee Every Hour” may not be the most exciting story within the covers, it was one of the most inspirational to me. To remember on the tough days that God can touch me in a powerful way even as I go throughout my daily tasks living simple “motherly moments” is encouraging. 

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading the story behind some of the most common of hymn. With each story, some of our “every day” hymns are given new meaning, and emotion.

For each hymn, the music and words are placed on one page and on the facing page is the story of both the author and musician. A great set-up for easy reading. This book is full of fascinating facts about the hymns, authors and musicians. I have plans to teach hymns to my children for school, and I’m sure that this book will be a great resource for these purposes.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of this review from Thomas Nelson Publishers. The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: