Sunday, January 30, 2011

Book Review: The Beginning Reader’s Bible

image The Beginning Reader’s Bible

Book Description:

Using actual Bible text from the International Children's Bible® as well as prayers, memory verses, and fun activities, children will love this large format and be engrossed in the intricate detail of the illustrations. Bible stories from the Old and New Testaments are included and stories are accompanied by a prayer for the child to pray, a verse to memorize, and a fun activity to help them grow.

Book Review:

I recently read a blog post of a homeschooling mom about how she doesn’t read regular children’s Bibles to her children, she only reads out of the actual Bible. While I disagree with her approach, I realized that I should start reading some of our Bible stories out  of an actual Bible translation, a few days later, I received this book in the mail to review!! Literally a God-send!

This Bible is a collection of favorite stories in actual Bible text, using select portions of scripture from the International Children’s Bible translation. I particularly appreciated the fact that they included the chapters and verses (just like a real Bible) that they used for each story.

I really enjoyed this translation for most of the Bible stories we read. I also loves the resources found in the back of the Bible, a few of the ones we enjoyed were:

  • The Ten Commandments
  • The Twenty-Third Psalm
  • The 12 Apostles
  • 12 Disciples
  • A Reading Chart (where the child can mark off which stories they’ve read)

I appreciated the depth and attention which was given to the Cross. It wasn’t a short portion included, it was one of the larger stories. I love it!!

The book does not have page numbers, though the table of contents records them, so it can be difficult for the child to find the right page, if they can’t read.

One of the only problems that I found in the translation was in the story of Noah, Genesis 6:9 says “Noah was a good man. He walked with God.” I know that the term ‘good’ is easier to read and understand for a child than ‘righteous’ but they are two completely different words with entirely different meanings. And more importantly the truth is Noah was not a “good” man, in the same way that the Bible tells us none of us are good (Romans 8), Noah was righteous only because he found favor in the eyes of God. (Genesis 6:8) I wish that they would have included verse 8 prior to verse 9 for proper interpretation of the scripture.

Overall, I found this children’s Bible completely unique and unlike any other we have in our home. A great addition.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book as part of the Book Sneeze Blogger program, for the purpose of this review, the opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I don't think I was the homeschooling mom you were talking about (because I don't think I did a post on this), but we also read out of the actual Bible to our kids during our family devotions. I think this teaches them a number of important lessons. Maybe I should do a post on it! :-)

We do own several Children's Bibles and the kids read them or we read to them during book time or during the day for fun. They are also allowed to keep a Bible in their beds (this helps with feeling fearful at night--a physical representation of God being with them).