Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book Review: Voices of the Faithful

image

Voices of the Faithful with Beth Moore and friends who put their lives on the line for God.

Publisher’s Book Description:

"A willingness to go is all they have in common," exclaims Beth Moore, speaking of her friends on the front lines who are spreading the gospel around the world and with whom she collaborated to create this book. This brilliant 365-day devotional features incredible stories of God's faithfulness in the face of uncertainty and danger, written by hundreds of missionaries worldwide.”

Book Review:

Beth Moore’s name was all I needed to take a look at this book, but once I did, her name was not the one that filled my heart and mind throughout the day after reading a short devotional. While Beth Moore opens each month with a short word, the daily devotionals are written by different men and women from around the world serving on the front lines of missionary life.

I love how Beth Moore explains the importance of coming along side missionaries from around the world, whether it be through prayer, financial support, short-term or long-term trips; she says:

“My earnest prayer is that once you feel like you know a handful of missionaries personally, your motivation to remember them, pray for them and support them in any of the many ways will explode into a full-fledged partnership…. The divine idea for full-throttle function was that God’s people would operate as one entity – or one body – in each generation. We’re meant to be like a multicolored Christmas lights attached to one electrical cord called the Holy Spirit and hung strategically all over the earth.”

This book certainly made me realize how connected I am with those serving as well as how much we have in common in Christ.

The truth is, reading these devotions put some stories with names and touched my heart in a way that I was reminded and wanted to pray for the work they were doing; but even more than that of the month (or more) worth of devotionals that I read, I was ministered to, encouraged, inspired and taught something.

This is a great devotional, and although the new year has started, I would encourage you to look into this particular devotional if you haven’t settled on one yet. The daily readings each begin with a verse and then a short easy-to read devotion that would take you less than a few minutes to read, but with enough impact to last you all day.

To Purchase:

I found this book priced at $11.24 on amazon. A great price for such a great devotional.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of my review. The opinions expressed are my own and I do not need to return my copy.

No comments: