Monday, February 21, 2011

Review: Little Star

 The Little Star by Anthony DeStefano

imageBook Description:

“I think I understand!” Little Star cried out. “The baby Jesus is a king! He’s just little!”

A king is about to be born! The stars in the heavens are competing to shine the brightest to celebrate his birth. But when they see the poor family, the donkey, the shabby stable, the stars all think, That can’t possibly be a king. We’ve been fooled.

All except one. The smallest, loneliest star in the sky, Little Star, is the only one to understand what the king was about to bring to the world. But what can Little Star do for him?

Certain to become a Christmas classic, this delightful tale connects the star atop our Christmas trees to the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus, in the hearts and minds of young children.

Book Review:

Alexa, our two year old, begged to read this book as soon as we got it in the mail. We read it twice in the first day! She loved the illustrations, as did I, which was one of the primary reasons she was so attracted to it.

This is an adorable little story about the Christmas star. I actually caught myself choking back tears my first time through it. I truly enjoyed it and thought it was absolutely precious.

While it is considered a Christmas story, I think it is applicable any time of year. I particularly loved how this story focused on how Jesus chose to be born into the most humble of circumstances, and how this is an important part of His story.

This is a great story about self-sacrifice and highlights the importance of keeping Christ at the center rather than ones self. A beautiful story reminding us a beautiful principle.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: