Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What about Hezekiah?

I’ve been having a hard time sleeping lately. To be honest, it’s normal for me to struggle falling asleep, but once I’m asleep I generally have no problem staying that way! Lately however, it’s been normal for me to wake anywhere from 4-8 times a night for no apparent reason.

Last night, I was laying in bed, thinking about why I couldn’t sleep, and the thought suddenly came to me – it’s because I don’t trust God!! Stay with me here: I am a control freak, I’m not scared of much, but loss of control throws me into a tizzy. It’s been a struggle since as long as I can remember, I remember struggling with this from as early as Kindergarten.

When I start to fall asleep, especially lately, thoughts begin to pop in my head of situations in which I could be out of control – a house fire, one of my kids waking up and wondering outside, someone coming into our home, etc. And the weird part is, I’m not “scared” of these things, what scares me is the fact that I might be sleeping when it happens and that somehow I would be unable to prevent, protect or rescue my children (in essence control the outcome in my own ability). When I am sleeping, it’s the only time that I’m not able to kid myself into thinking that I am somehow in control.

Again, I know how silly and “crazy” this all seems, I’m reading the same thing you are. But it’s true.

So last night, I laid in bed for a while earnestly praying, asking the Lord to do a miracle in my thought life and to help me relinquish my need to constantly feel in control of every situation. I asked Him to change my desire to control. I laid their crying out to Him, telling Him I didn’t want to be like this any more, I didn’t want to feel this way.

Eventually I fell asleep.

At 2:00 I woke up and immediately I heard (I thought I actually heard a voice) say “Hezekiah” and I thought “Hezekiah, king of either Israel or Judah, one of the few good kings… and that’s all I remember about him. What about him Lord?” I didn’t hear or sense anything else. I fell back asleep a little while later.

Now a little side note here: I have NEVER audibly heard the Lord speak to me, and I can’t say with certainty that I did last night, but I can say with certainty he did speak, whether it was in my heart or in my ears, I don’t know.

At around 3:30, I didn’t come fully awake, but minimally “conscious” and felt in my spirit once again the word “Hezekiah”

I woke up again at 4:30 the first thought in my head was “Hezekiah”. And I thought “Okay, I’ll read the story in the morning for sure!!”

5:30 Audrey woke up, the moment my eyes opened I thought “Hezekiah”

7:00 The kids woke up, Tim got out of bed to get them breakfast, I had already had the thought “Hezekiah” before I even fully woke up, I jumped up and grabbed my Bible. 

I recently finished reading 2 Kings, and remembered reading about Hezekiah so I turned there. In chapters 18 – 20 I found his story.

2 Kings 18:5 says “He trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel, so that there was none like him among all the kings of Judah, after him, nor among those who were before him.”

After a little bit more digging, I have found that Hezekiah’s story does not end in 2 Kings, but is also recorded in more depth in 2 Chronicles 29-32. As well as Isaiah 36-39 which seems to repeat the 2 Kings account, but is also on Hezekiah’s reign. 10 chapters of scripture based on one king of Judah, this is a significant amount of scripture devoted to record the reign of a king of Judah. 

Just looking quickly in my “What the Bible is All About Book” that was sitting next to my quiet time chair I read the following “The reign of Hezekiah occupied one of the most important in Israel’s history.” I also found that Isaiah 15-39 was written during the reign of Hezekiah.

I have quickly read each of the scripture accounts of Hezekiah’s life (Isaiah 36-39, 2 Kings 18-20 and 2 Chronicles 29-32) but I am going to be going back through them with a fine tooth comb, learning what I can about this incredible king. I am SO looking forward to this journey!!

No comments: