Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Becoming a Missional-Minded Mom

Since reading the book Radical my eyes have really been opened to the calling of all believers to serve God with their whole lives. And that this will look different on each of us, but that regardless of what it looks like it will (or maybe I should say, should) push us to our limits.
Tim and I have both been challenged to pray about this and seek what this will look like in our lives and the lives of our family. We feel called by God to something, and we’re working hard to follow His lead to wherever He may lead. 
For me in particular, being a homeschooling, stay at home mom, I know that while being called to be a mom willing to serve and sacrifice for Him, I am also a mom and He has given me a very obvious calling to be a mom (and a teacher at this time). But I also feel strongly that I need to be more open in trusting my children to Him and not trying to control everything in their lives.
While the Lord has been showing us all these things, I also came across a book called “Missional Mom” written by a mom about intentionally mission-minded moms and women who serve the Lord in their homes and other various contexts. I loved being able to learn about real-life women and what their individual callings looks like and requires. I love that our God is a god of diversity and uniqueness. He has the ability to use each of us right where we are to do amazing things for Him – all the while giving Him the Glory!!
Two things I learned from this book that I don’t want to forget:
1. In order to live missionally I need to be deliberate about how I read, interpret and live out the gospel. This includes my attraction to comfort and fear of true sacrifice. If I look at these through the lens of the Bible rather than the world, I see it completely differently. In the Bible, comfort is not something to seek and sacrifice is to be expected, if not a certainty in a Christian’s life.
2. As a mother, I am not called to love my children first. I am called to love Jesus first and what that may look like may not be what I (or other’s) might expect.
To be honest, both of these things scare me. While being a mom is a hard job, it’s an accepted job. To live sacrificially for the “sake of the children” is more understandable and even acceptable than to live sacrificially for Jesus, even (or perhaps especially) in the church.
I love the road that Jesus is taking me down, and I am grateful for the patience and grace He is showing me as I learn valuable truths that aren’t always easy to live by. I can’t wait to see what He has in store for our family.
If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 comment:

amanda said...

one thing i struggle with too is not only loving Jesus first. but loving/putting shaun before my children. the order for me has to be God, Husband, Children. and then things work out like the need too. :)
ps. amelya loves the japan class, and talks about it all the way to dance class after wings. one day she'll open up. :)