Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring Reading Challenge Update

I’m doing better than I thought I would be doing at this point in the Spring Reading Challenge. Though it’s thanks to the fact that I could NOT put down the Circle books by Ted Dekker!! imageI ended up reading over 1200 pages in less than a week!!

The Circle Trilogy

The Circle Series is actually four books. I borrowed and read the first three: Black, Red and White from my sister.

image The concept behind the books is fascinating. I kept telling my mom (who’s already read the series), I would LOVE the chance to sit down with Ted Dekker and just chit-chat, I can’t imagine what goes on in his mind, with the imagination to write a storyline like this one…. his mind does not work anywhere near the level that mine does.

I cannot possibly do the story line justice in just a couple paragraphs, but I’ll try:

Thomas Hunter a 25 year old man from Denver Colorado begins to experience what he thinks are “dreams” though both places feel so real that he soon can’t distinguish what is his reality and what is his “dream world”. As the reader you too begin to question is it possible that they’re both real?

One world set in present day is in a fight for it’s own survival as a deadly airborne virus controlled by evil men is about to be released into world – a virus which only Thomas Hunter seems to be aware of and willing to do whatever it takes to prevent.

In the other world life seems near perfect, at least temporarily, the inhabitants are innocent and pure in a state of constant awareness of their creator, Elyon. While evil exists, it’s plain to see and there is a clear line between what is perfect and good and what is not. Because of the evil that does exists, this world faces dangers as well, dangers that are just as deadly, just as dangerous and for me, much more tragic.

The entire series is fascinating. The characters are easy to love and accept. The storyline is riveting. And underneath it all lies the story of the gospel. I recommend this book, though I’ll be honest and say I don’t think everyone would appreciate the complicated nature and length of this book. It’s not sci-fi by any means, but anytime you introduce parallel worlds you have to admit it’s a book of fantasy.

The book holds a solid message throughout; one of  good, evil, sacrifice and redemption. All the elements needed for a great story.

Spring Reading Update

I am excited to have not only reached my goal for the month already (which was to read 2 books a month) but actually doubled it!!

I read these 3 books as well as John MacArthur’s Hard to Believe (I will post on this book separately), and am more than a 1/3 of the way through Ted Dekker’s “Adam” (a book I added in later).

I have picked up where I left off in “The Discipline of Grace” by Jerry Bridges and another recent add-in “When the Brain Can’t Hear” a book dealing with Auditory Processing Disorder.

No comments: