Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Treyton, Reading Scripture

IMG_0064 This week Treyton attended a local churches VBS in the mornings. After the first day he came home to tell me about how one of the boys read right out of the Bible all by himself and how he was “like my age, like 6 or 7 or something!”

I informed him that, he too, could read right out of a real Bible if he wanted too.

We got his Bible and the first thing we did was learn how to find a verse. I had him pick ANY verse he knew, he picked John 3:16, which was a great choice because it’s actually one of the books of the Bible that he knows where it is at. (He’s currently learning the books of the New Testament).

We worked through finding the verse – first the book, then the chapter then the verse. It was so precious to watch him, and he didn’t want any help (of course)!

I didn’t have him read that verse because I know he would just quote it for me. So instead I had him turn to Psalm 139 which is the chapter of scripture his VBS is focusing on. I had him read verse 1.

After he read the verse, he was so FLOORED!! You would not even believe it. I wish I could have taken a picture of his face.

Next he asked me “Can I just pick any verse I want to read?”

I said “Sure”

Wouldn’t you know it, he flipped his Bible to Song of Solomon. For some reason the only words I saw on the page were lover, breast and conceive!! I started praying “please keep going, please keep going” I was praying that this was NOT the day that I sound out the word “lover” with my 6 year old!! He stayed on the page for what seemed like an eternity until he finally flipped on to a verse in Isaiah…..

Sigh.

It is such a blessing to see such a young man of God hunger more and more for the Word. There is no doubt in my mind that Treyton is gifted with wisdom and knowledge of the Word and that God will use His hunger and love of the Word to teach Him much about Himself.

No comments: