Friday, July 22, 2011

Review: The Treasure Principle

image The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving by Randy Alcorn

Book Description:

“Discover a joy more precious than gold! Priceless treasure is within your reach. And with it, liberating joy. In Randy Alcorn’s The Treasure Principle, you’ll unearth a radical teaching of Jesus – a secret wrapped up in giving. Once you discover this secret, life will never look the same. And you won’t want it to! Do it. Ask God what’s on your mind…. Open my eyes, Father. What am I holding on to that’s robbing me of present joy and future reward?”

Book Review:

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I’m a pretty big Randy Alcorn fan, so I started reading this book with a positive perspective. Financial giving is an area that God has really been working on in Tim and I’s life in the past year or so, and this book complimented and reemphasized many of the truths that God has already been teaching us.

The primary “Treasure Principle” as Alcorn calls it is the idea that:

You can’t take it with you – but you can send it on ahead.

By giving now, treasures far beyond any sacrifice we make here are being stored and waiting for us in heaven. I think for most of us, this principle loses it’s meaning as soon as we begin to think about heaven. The “great un-known” to so many of us, but if better understood, I think we would seek it more earnestly (as we should). (By the way, Alcorn also has another incredible book called Heaven, that I highly, highly, recommend, by far the best resource I’ve found on the topic) Alcorn describes heaven as a place “of rest and relief from the burden of sin and suffering; but it will also be a place of great learning, activity, artistic expression, exploration, discovery, camaraderie and service.” If only we could grasp this and live our lives understanding the truth of money in light of eternity, materialism in relation to heavenly treasure and the earthly desire of possession as so shallow compared to what is to come. The truth is when we pursue and hoard these things for ourselves, we are wasting so much of our time, so much of our energy…. and for what?

Something that really grabbed my attention in The Treasure Principle is when Alcorn shared a few quotes and statistics (from the PBS show Affluenza) with his readers, including the fact that “the average American shops six hours a week while spending forty minutes playing with his children” and “recently, more Americans declared bankruptcy than graduated from college.”

I think Alcorn said it best when he says “we think we own our possessions, but too often they own us.”

Alcorn does a great job unpacking what the Bible actually says about giving. It’s easy to lack the joy of giving if we don’t really understand it and view it from a Biblical perspective.

The real truth is we do not own the money/possessions that we have, we are simply stewards of it. By holding on to money and things we help no one (including ourselves), but by giving we solve so many more problems than we could ever realize. By participating in God’s design we can expect nothing less than HIS joy and HIS peace to permeate our hearts and lives.

I highly recommend this book, within it’s pages is a true Biblical message explained clearly and understandably without condemnation or shame.

Disclosure: I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments: