Monday, January 16, 2012

Book List 2012

I always look forward to posting the book list for the year. I didn’t read as many books as I had expected or wanted to in 2011, but that’s alright, there is always this year. :)
An entire bookshelf remains full of books that I have bought, or that have been given to me that I want to read, not to mention several (okay like 20) more books on my “wishlist”. Like the t-shirt that my mother-in-law got me for Christmas says “So many books, So little time” I don’t think a truer statement could describe my life :).

Books I’ve Read This Year
Though it wasn't just this year, I concluded reading through the Bible for the second time at the completion of 2012!! I believe it took me 2 years, though it might have been 3. Out of all the books that could be read, the Holy Scriptures are by far the best. If I could have only read one book this year, it would have been this one!!

"Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist" by John Piper
 image Based on the concept that as Christians "Delight is our Duty" - it is from this that one of John Piper's more famous philosophies stem "The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever". This book is very practical and helpful in developing a mature Christian walk and relationship with God. Filled with scripture and important Biblical truths, it is God-honoring and encourages us to use our whole lives to worship God.


Respectable Sins” by Jerry Bridges
I have had this book on my to-read list for 3 years now and have started it a number of times. For real, I’m going to read it this time, I’m on chapter 6!
I finished this book and would recommend it - you can read my "unofficial review" on it here.

1, 2, 3 John and Jude” by John MacArthur
I’m going through this study with some ladies from my church, a great study. MacArthur is great.

Real Marriage by Mark and Grace Driscoll
A book on marriage (obviously), written by a pastor and his wife of 15 years. Talking truthfully they share the  beauty and ashes of marriage and share some Biblical insight on how to approach your marriage, regardless of where you are. To go-along with this book Mark Driscoll is going through a sermon series covering their book chapter by chapter.... it covers a lot (but not all) of the books material.

The Well-Behaved Child” by John Rosemond
This book gives great practical parenting tips – with a no-hold, no psychobabble “punches” Rosemond is to the point and gives no apologies for his authoritative, yet loving parental approach. There are a few of his ideas that I don’t necessarily agree with, but overall every tip of his that I’ve implemented in our home has been very effective and helpful in training.

The Educating the Wholehearted Child” Clay and Sally Clarkson
I started this book a while ago, and I’m about halfway through. It is a great homeschooling resource giving ideas of how to educate, train and disciple the whole child, not just the mind through our homeschool and home (which in reality are one in the same). An EXCELLENT resource.

The Ministry of Motherhood” by Sally Clarkson
I haven’t actually started this one but I loved the Mission of Motherhood and am loving Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson.

"The Explicit Gospel" by Matt Chandler
The best book that I have read this year. The gospel clearly and unapologetically defined BIBLICALLY. Matt Chandler, by far my favorite preacher to listen to via podcast, his book was just as good. easy to read, penetrating, powerful and full of truth. I recommend this book to EVERYONE. Seriously, everyone should read this book.

"One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp
The Lord brought this book to my nightstand at a very specific time. I've owned this book for over a year and heard it recommended a million times. I've also read Ann Voskamp's blog over the years. When I started One Thousand Gifts, I read 3 pages, and literally had to stop as I found myself sobbing over the words. Voskamp writes slightly more poetically than I am used to but it creates a realness and power to her words that really wrap you in to what she is saying. This book was amazing and I highly, highly recommend it! 

"A Woman After God's Own Heart" by Elizabeth George 
I did the Bible study that goes along with the video segments. This was a phenomenal study from which I learned so much about discipleship and having strong disciplines. I am hoping to read her book as well... maybe next year. 

FICTION 
The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins 
  • The Hunger Games 
  • Catching Fire 
  • Mockingjay 
I know these books were debated by some, and I can see some of their reasoning, however, I thought they were really good and I couldn't put them down. Like most people, I finished each of them within a couple of days.

Wildflowers in Winter by Katie Ganshert
I reviewed this book this year, I enjoyed it.

Breath of Dawn by Kristen Heitzmann
The third of one of my all time favorite series.... LOVED it! 


Books on my Nightstand


"James: Mercy Triumphs" Beth Moore's newest Bible Study
My sister, Skye, and I decided to do this Bible Study together at a VERY slow pace. We are both loving it, if we get done before the end of the year I would be surprised :)

"Creature of the Word" by Matt Chandler
I love Matt Chandler's writing style so much I was excited to see that he actually had another one out so soon. He is a phenomenal teacher and pastor. This book focuses on what a Jesus-centered gospel-focused church should look like as well as practical steps to get there.

No comments: