Monday, January 23, 2012

Hope

Romans 15:13 “May the God of all hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.”

Romans 5:1-5 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

I love the word, hope.

Hope.

Every time I hear it, I feel like I’m able to exhale a little easier.

God has placed this word on my heart recently, and I have truly delighted in reflecting on it’s Biblical meaning. I’ve seen all over the blog world, people picking a “word of the year”, I’ve never done this in the past, but I think this year, if I were to pick one, Hope would be my word.

Biblical hope, unlike worldly hope, is more than just a vague optimistic expectation. Hope, for the believer, is a specific confident assurance.

Assurance that God is who he says He is.

Assurance that God will do what He said He will do.

Assurance that we our forgiven, because Jesus paid the price and bore the wrath that we could not.

Assurance that God will be faithful to complete the work He started in our lives.

There are times in each of our lives when we feel defeated, when we come to the end of our own strength and worldly “hope”. When we can’t see an ounce of good in a particular situation, time or place that God has placed us in.

When these times come, it’s easy to feel like you don’t know what to do. And, what are we to do when we don’t know what to do?

I believe the answer is hope. Hope in Him.

We can be sure and confident in Him. We may not always like the route He takes us, we may not see His plan this side of heaven. But we can have hope, assurance that He will see us through, that His ways are better than our ways, even when we don’t understand.

Hope.

What a blessed assurance.

Psalm 46:1-2 “God is our refuge and strength a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way.”

No comments: