Friday, February 3, 2012

Recipe: Nutty Granola

I’ve been in a rather “home maker” mood lately, and felt the recent urge to do a little bit more in the kitchen.

I had seen on several blogs that I read different granola recipes that looked good. I started reading them all, comparing and figuring out things that I thought our family would like (or not like) and created a recipe that I thought would fit our family. Jan-Feb 2012 023

This is my best attempt at writing my recipe down (I'm not always the best at measuring things out, and I "tweak" a lot - go figure ;)) It's pretty easy though and WAY good!!

Ingredients
3 Cups Old-Fashioned Oats (these are not the same as minute oats)
1 Cup almonds (unsalted)
1 Sunflowers (unsalted)
1 Cup Cashews
1 Cup Coconut Flakes (I wanted coconut chips but couldn't find them, the flakes work fine)
3/4 Honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter melted
Handful of Chocolate Chips

Directions

mix "dry" ingredients"
mix "wet" ingredients (including brown sugar)
mix together
Spread onto a baking sheet covered with a GREASED aluminum foil sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes @325
Stir every 10 minutes.
Let cool in the pan - the longer it cools in the pan the bigger your clumps are going to be. We like clumps, but if you don't I would remove from pan fairly early.

I allowed mine to completely cool in the pan and it was a little "tricky" getting it off of the aluminum foil. Doable, but tricky. So maybe it's best not to allow it to cool completely before you take them off.

Store in an airtight container.

(Side note: The handful of chocolate chips I added completely melted and after the first "stir" so they basically just coated the granola.)  Jan-Feb 2012 025

No comments: