Tuesday, October 30, 2012

{Book Review} Wildflowers from Winter

Wildflowers from Winter by Katie Ganshert

Book Description:

“A young architect at a prestigious Chicago firm, Bethany Quinn has built a life far removed from her trailer park teen years. Until an interruption from her estranged mother reveals that tragedy has struck in her hometown and a reluctant Bethany is called back to rural Iowa. Determined to pay her respects while avoiding any emotional entanglements, she vows not to stay long. But the unexpected inheritance of farmland and a startling turn of events in Chicago forces Bethany to come up with a new plan.


Handsome farmhand Evan Price has taken care of the Quinn farm for years. So when Bethany is left the land, he must fight her decisions to realize his dreams. But even as he disagrees with Bethany's vision, Evan feels drawn to her and the pain she keeps so carefully locked away.


For Bethany, making peace with her past and the God of her childhood doesn't seem like the path to freedom. Is letting go the only way to new life, love and a peace she's not even sure exists?”

Book Review:

I received this book for review quite a while ago, but after reading it in only 3 days I forgot to post my review… so here it is now.

This book was an interesting and easy read (meaning I didn’t have to work to hard to read and follow the story) but hard to get through emotionally as you follow more-than-one heart wrenching story of grief. Overall, the story line was a bit predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless.

The main character, Bethany Quinn, is living with wounds and pain from her past the story-line follows her as she learns the true meaning of love and forgiveness. At times I found myself put out with her attitude towards seemingly “innocent” people, which I would credit to not personally relating to some of her own wounds and past experiences. Though towards the end of the book, I found myself relating to her a bit more.

In general, this was a good book with a clean story line and Christian aspects that I appreciated. I appreciate Ganshert’s boldness in attacking some huge issues that real-people deal with – death, family-wounds and secrets, legalism that burns and a past ran from all in her first novel. I look forward to seeing what she comes up with for her next novel!!

I would recommend this book to others who enjoy Christian fiction.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Waterbrook Press for the purpose of my honest review. The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: