Thursday, May 28, 2015

Resources to Enjoy 5.28.15



So it's been a while, and will probably be a while again before I post, but I just thought I would share a few things that the Lord has brought across my path. Verses that are impacting me, sermons I've recently heard and loved, some quotes that moved me and a few links to articles/blog posts that I found helpful and/or inspirational. 
Enjoy! 

Verses to Reflect On  

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12 

"I thank Him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because He judged me faithful, appointing me to His service, though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecuted, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and the love that are in Christ Jesus. This saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came in to the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in Him for eternal life." 
1 Timothy 1:12-16 

"Behold children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate." Psalm 127:3-5 


Quotes to Ponder 

"When God gives us commands, He means to help us run the race to completion, not to slow us down.... The law is good because firmness is good. God cares enough to show us his ways and direct our paths. How awful it would be to inhabit this world, have some idea that there is a God, and yet not know what He desires from us." Kevin Deyoung in his book "The Hole in our Holiness" 

"We're not seeking God to get a sticker from Him or an attaboy. We're seeking Him to enjoy even greater intimacy with Him, to get even closer to His heart, to open more and more of those inner closets where we've tried to restrict access to Him thinking He wouldn't like what He sees, thinking He might reject us if He knew. The reason why we study His word, why we attack our sin, why we share generously from our resources, and why we serve people around us is not to persuade Him to love us. WE do these things because He already DOES love us.... and because He wants us to dig even deeper into the treasury of His blessing, into the joy and sweetness and abundant living His gospel unlocks for us." Matt Chandler in Recovering Redemption 


Sermons to Hear

From Heart to Home by Josh Patterson - (you can either listen to or read the transcript from this sermon) AWESOME, practical, biblical and real sermon regarding discipling our children based on Deut. 6 - I will be listening to this one again. 

Arrogance/Humility by Matt Chandler - I have enjoyed all of the sermons from his James series but this one has been my favorite (I think, maybe not, but it's the one that I've been thinking about the most recently.... they are all good so if you have time you really should listen to the entire series, but for now, you can just start with this one :)) 


Links to Share 

Priscilla Shirer "The Language of Privilege" - a blog about perspective and the beauty of obligation 

Into Iraq #2 by Ann Voskamp - a beautiful, heart changing, post regarding the ugly reality of sex-trafficking in Iraq and the women and girls affected by it. This is a MUST READ!! 

True Sin or False Guilt by the Village Church 

20 Quotes from the Explicit Gospel - I love this series from Desiring God. The book "Explicit Gospel" by Matt Chandler is one of my favorites! 

A Complete Classical Christian Reading List for Grades 1-8 An awesome resource from the Gospel Coalition that I will hopefully remember is here :) 





No comments: