Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Called For Such a Time as This (Part 2)


I just finished reading through the book of Esther. 

It still amazes me that God's name is not once mentioned in the book. Yet, His Hand is all over it. While it's a thought that I ponder, I think I'm beginning to get it - to understand why God didn't write His name in that book. 

I think it's to show us that God is there, all the time, always in control, always working whether He's acknowledged or not, He's sovreignly at work in the lives of us all, when we mention Him by name. And when we don't. 

As I was reading through the book of Esther this time, I really tried to read it with "new eyes", I've read the book many times before and sometimes I have a tendency to read things quickly when I've already read them before, so I attempted to really notice the details as much as I could this time, and the book of Esther really got me thinking.... 

I wonder if when Esther was just a young girl she ever imagined herself as queen?
I wonder if she ever realized the role she would play not only in history, but specifically in the history of God's people. 
I wonder if she realized her name would grace the pages of scripture. 

I doubt it. 

I doubt she ever thought of herself as much more than "just a girl". Like most of us, she probably saw her life going about as "normal", as fairly uneventful. She probably imagined growing up, possibly marrying a jewish man, popping out a few kids and living life in Susa as a jewish exile. It wouldn't have been a bad life by any means. 

But that wasn't God's plan for Esther. 

God had much more in store for Esther. 

Esther would end up changing the lives of more people than she could have ever fathomed. Esther's act of trust in God, would save the lives of the Jews and end the lives of many of their enemies. Esther would intercede on the behalf of those who could not intercede for themselves. Esther would become an example for women (and men) for generations to come. 

Yes, God had much more in store for Esther. 

I believe that God always has more in store for us than we have for ourselves. 

We may not ever hit celebrity status, or make the history books or the pages of scripture the way that Esther did, but that doesn't mean we aren't meant to do something life-changing in the lives of others.

We won't ever know all of the ways that our lives affect others but we can be certain that we are affecting them, one way or another. 

For Such a Time as This....

God will do what He has said He will do, with or without us, but do we believe He may actually choose to use us to do His work? Or do we leave that work and responsibility to someone else instead? 

I don't know about you all but, I want to be a life-changer, I want to be a tool that God is able to use, however He chooses to use it. 

I want to live my life living every moment as though it were "such a time as this." I want to remember that there are no little moments. That I have opportunities all around me to make a difference. 

I want to serve people the way that Jesus commanded us to in Matthew 25 
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

I want to give up some of myself to serve others, as though I were serving the Lord Himself. I want to give to those in want and I want to bless those that are in need. I want to go and minister to those who need to be ministered to. I want to live my life serving the 'least of these'. 

And even more than that, I want to do it in the name of Jesus. I want His name to be exalted and glorified. I want to give those who don't know the Lord a glimpse of His hands and feet. I want to be an example of sacrificial love. 



I want to give more than just a dress. I want to give them the Source that can clothe them in robes of righteousness (Isaiah 61:10)


I want to bring them more than just food. I want to bring them the Bread of Life (John 6:35).


I want to give more than the luxury of toys and extras that they're not used to. I want to give them a hope for an eternal life beyond imagining (John 3:16). 

I want to show them through my minimal sacrifice the One who sacrificed far more for them than I ever could. 

I want to go, even when I don't want to go. 
I want to give, even when I don't want to give. 
I want to serve, even when I don't want to serve. 
For His glory. 

For such a time as this. 





No comments: