Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Lies of the Rabble

One of my favorite things about reading and studying the Word of God, besides getting to know my Creator and Savior better, is the "coincidences" that so often seem to happen when you hear or read something in one place and than a day or two or maybe even a week later you read something similar to what the Lord was already speaking to you in a different place. Does that make any sense at all? 

I commend you all for trying to follow me through this maze I call a train of thought.  
Truly, you're all amazing! 

I digress. 

What I mean is, those times when you seem to hear a "random" scripture or nugget from the Lord and then a little while later you hear the same "random" verse or idea. It's creepy awesome and it's one of my favorite things about how the Lord works through His word. 



This happened to me recently. I was reading in Lauren Chandler's "Steadfast Love" and she referenced the story in Numbers 11 where the Israelites began complaining about eating manna and how they longed for meat. 

A few days later, I read the same portion of scripture in my Bible reading..... so I stopped, I said a little prayer and I started reading again. Slower this time. More intentionally. 

I encourage you to read the entire account. It's a truly remarkable story and one that, if we're honest with ourselves may expose a few blindspots in our hearts and lives. 

Numbers 11:4 "Now the rabble that was among them had a strong craving. And the people of Israel also wept again and said, 'Oh that we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing." 

According to Chandler, the rabble were those Egyptians who (going against God's will) were intermarried into the Israelite nation while they were still in Egypt. 

The Israelite's craving was about far more than just food - it was ultimately a desire for the pleasures (the choicest parts) and conveniences of Egypt

Egypt. The place of their greatest deepest bondage. The home of their slavery. 

How could anyone want to go back to that? 

It seems like such a ridiculous thing to say, and yet, it isn't all that different from what we do in our own lives. 
We all have a tendency to lie to ourselves about our past, especially when the present isn't what we think we want. We question God's goodness and believe lies about what He has set us free from. 


"The rabble" within us, is the part of us we've given over to things other than God. The part of us we "hold back" from complete surrender to Him. When we're honest, we all know we have our own form of "rabble" in the deep parts of our hearts. Our feeble attempts to keep the rabble under control rarely works, yet we continue to act like we control "it" and that it doesn't control us, but eventually the truth that the rabble is uncontrollable comes into full light when it rears its ugly head and demands its own way. 

In verse 10 we're told the people were literally standing in the doors of their tents, weeping.
An adult-sized, communal, temper-tantrum! 

While it may not look the same, I'm guilty of this same thing. Pitching my own version of a fit when life doesn't go my way. It may not always be verbal, but it's almost always obvious. 

The Lord ends up (for good reason) punishing the people (v. 18-23) and He tells them exactly why (v.20) "because you have rejected the Lord who is among you and have wept before Him saying 'Why did we come out of Egypt?'" 

"Because you have rejected the Lord."  

That's exactly what we're doing when we complain and grumble about the places God has brought us to and blessings that God has provided for us. 

The grass always seems greener. 

When will we learn it is better to be in the dessert eating manna with the presence of God, than filling our "bellies" with the "choicest" foods the world has to offer all the while living in bondage? 

We have to refuse to hear and believe the lies. The lies that tell us bondage is worth it, that the sin and compromise "cost nothing"! That we deserve whatever we want even when it's not what we need. 

Rejecting God is the opposite of trusting Him.

If He's brought you to the dessert He has a good reason, trust Him to provide for you to get you through. 

The dessert isn't easy, it isn't always pretty, but God is there, and He's speaking (maybe for the first time in nearly 400 years) He's providing, He's leading. Your job is to trust, to be grateful and to follow. 

In my Bible reading this morning, I was brought to Psalm 66, I think it applies beautifully to what we've been seeing in Numbers, it says in verses 8-12

"Bless our God, O peoples;
let the sound of His praise be heard,
who has kept our soul among the living 
and has not let your feet slip. 
For you, O God, have tested us;
you have tried us as silver is tried.
You brought us into the net;
you laid a crushing burden on our backs;
you let men ride over our heads;
we went through fire and through water; 
yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance." 


2 comments:

Alexis said...

Great post and something I needed to be reminded of. Thanks you're great!!

MiMi Louisiana Style said...

Amber, I love your blog. I look forward to it. You have a gift. God is using you through your blog. You give us thought provoking messages. We learn about ourselves through your blog on things we maybe we're not aware of. I appreciate you and your thoughts. Thank you and I look forward to reading many more from you. I'll close now so I can start identifying and correcting the "rabble" in my life. Much love to you and your family. Keep on keeping on. God is definitely not done with His messages through you.